Friday, January 25, 2008

Back to health

Welcome to my daily strands. A few thoughts today. I met with a holistic personal trainer this morning who completely re-energized me. I am now hoping to shift my focus back to being mindful of what I put in my body, adding revitalizing stretches and relaxation breathing to my exercise regimen, and gaining back bodily balance. The trainer recommended several supplements that I had always thought of taking but got too overwhelmed when trying to buy them in the store. He told me exactly what to buy and recommended this website: www.mercola.com for the best products and prices. I am now going to take Complete Probiotics and Carlson's Cod Liver Oil (also available at Whole Foods). Additionally, he recommended a gluten free diet as I've been having a lot of stomach issues (even driving me to do undertake one of the most horrible experiences of my life--a parasite test). Even though I don't have Celiac Disease, websites for Celiac disease provide good information on gluten free diets:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319/DSECTION=8
Nowadays most stores carry gluten free products. Interestingly, gluten free may be particularly good for those with blood sugar problems such as myself. High gluten foods also tend to be high glycemic index (GI) foods and good to avoid anyways. My trainer gave me a good list of foods to avoid. I think I will miss having pizza and beer! However, many alcoholic drinks are still ok to have, including wine.

Other thought today...I finished reading Dave Eggers book "What is the What" at about 4 am this morning. This is the amazing, true account (even though it is labelled as fiction in order to be overly protective about calling memories absolutely true facts, a bit over the top if you ask me) of a Sudanese boy whose village was destroyed and he had to walk across the entire country to get to a refugee camp with little food and clothing. The book goes back and forth between Mr. Deng's current day (in which he is robbed in his own home) and his memories from his trek across Sudan, to Ethiopia and then a camp in Kenya. He directs his stories to characters in the present day as well as to the reader. This man is amazing. Here is a link to his website:
http://www.valentinoachakdeng.org/
I love being able to catch up on what has happened since the publishing of his book.

3 comments:

Zanna said...

dori i love your blog name - it is perfect for you

Unknown said...

Chris has been taking cod liver oil for over a year, Solana takes some too. He is a big believer in the cod liver oil and vitamin D as he has reversed the ills that he had attributed to old age. I have been slowly growing accustomed to the taste of the oil, but I have a bit of a mental block to it since Chris first made me try it when I was pregnant and it made me gag.

kdh said...

welcome to the blogosphere doris! glad your visit with josh was so fantastic!!!!