Monday, January 28, 2008

Politics

The races are heating up and I am still...undecided. Really split over some of the candidates. I have been checking the New York Times daily for different takes on the Clinton v. Obama issue. This column makes a good point, are we really wanting another Clinton in office after have over a decade of the Bush saga and nearly a decade with one Clinton?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/opinion/28cohen.html?th&emc=th

On the other hand, I am reading Carl Bernstein's book on Hillary and finding her life fascinating. She basically has been in politics since serving as student president at Wellsley. She was raised by an atrocious father who instilled conservative Republicanism in her. It was at Wellsley when she finally started moving in a more liberal direction. From Bernstein's account, the students at Wellsley adored her and she was an excellent leader at a very confusing time with the civil rights movement and Vietnam war. She really did meet Martin Luther King Jr. and was one of his most ardent admirers. I am really excited to finish reading the book and learn more about her.

By the way, when perusing the Times, I always end up finding other great articles. This one is about a new homeless shelter in Oakland that was built "green," pretty awesome if you ask me:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/us/28shelter.html?th&emc=th

Also see this link for an interesting column on whether cholesterol is really the culprit behind heart disease...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27taubes.html?em&ex=1201669200&en=2219ce6dff19d9c2&ei=5087%0A

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post D. I too am still undecided on Clinton V. Obama (don't tell my sister). My issues with Hillary are the same ones that you mention. Oligarchies scare me! The unfortunate thing is that change sort of scares me too. Although, I usually end up choosing change...

djd said...

Hi ben! how is chicago? we miss you here! I know, it is a tough decision, I keep wavering...so I am just trying to educate myself as much as possible and then go for it!

Unknown said...

I'm lovin Chi-town. It's freezing, but thats sort of a welcome change in my book. I want to come back and visit you all soon. I can't wait to see how all this election stuff pans out...