Friday, February 15, 2008

Eco Moms

An article in today's NYT helped me draw together the environmentally friendly movement with the research I do. The article discusses eco-mom's who attempt to improve their children's health and that of the earth by being environmentally conscious. Interestingly, this made me think about how turning off the TV (something I promote in my research) is also saving electricity and helping the environment. Also, living nearer to schools allows kids to walk to school (getting more physical activity) which also saves carbon emissions and gas.
Link to article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/us/16ecomoms.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th&adxnnlx=1203184285-OpRG%20c0NgCXUsV7LZ%20T5kw

On the issue of suburbia:
Here's another NYT article from earlier in the week that mentions several researchers I work with are mentioned in this article from the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/fashion/10suburbs.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1203109961-DI0CKu0vzgXnh3eOR+iZ4Q
The idea is that to improve the environment, huge stand alone houses on large lots with 3 car garages are not going to help. Living in such places means long commutes to work and school (cutting physical activity and consuming lots of gas).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. I love it when multiple disciplines converge. It seems to have a synergistic effect on the desired outcomes! kind of like environmental, economic, and social justice overlapping with health, which i talked about in my last blog entry. We just can't stay in our little professional boxes anymore, can we? That's why I am so looking forward to the conference in April... You too? This is Kdh, by the way--not jeff)