Friday, February 8, 2008

Thinking about the Environment

An article today in the NYT reminds me of how important it is to use our heads when it comes to many things, including the environment. There's been a surge to replace our regular fuel with biofuel. The article though discusses 2 studies that have shown that biofuel ends up destroying the environment just as much. Read the article at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/science/earth/08wbiofuels.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

What this article says to me is that the bottom line is that we need to be buying and using cars that consume less gas--hybrids, smart cars, electric cars--and not big SUVs and trucks that are the mainstay on the road these days (and often with only 1 person in them). Our obsession with gas guzzlers is sick. From the monstrous SUVs and trucks to the smaller cars that have large engines--we are gas mongerers. Think about what the point of a vehicle is--to get from point A to B (and maybe some places in between). Do we really need some larger than life souped up status symbol on wheels? Or can we focus on what we really NEED and help ensure that our environment is protected for a long long time. To me, it is way cooler to drive a simple Honda Civic that gets nearly 40 miles/gallon than a hummer, or should I say (as the slogan goes on a T-shirt I saw a Whole Foods), a bummer.

2 comments:

kdh said...

bummer. there goes my dream of getting a biodiesel car! i kid. i kid. but of course i completely agree with you on this... having a friend like dalila really has inspired me! she ONLY takes public transportation..and in SAN DIEGO! Pretty amazing. The other thing that has helped curb my driving habit is using a cash only budget. that way, I really FEEL how much gas I am putting into my car, making me less likely to want to fill up again (and in turn, making me less likely to drive).

djd said...

wow, using cash to pay WOULD really get the point across. one reason i am so thankful to be able to walk to work 3 days per week...